Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Nice Cup of Tea

Here I am, writing a blog about "all things soothing and comforting" and I have yet to write about tea, the true essence of this phrase. I was raised on the stuff as some children are raised on milk or orange juice, encouraged to let the water come to a full "rolling boil" and, no matter the hurry, to let it steep well.

I therefore thought it would be appropriate to do a little Internet exploring about my beverage of choice. Perhaps I could discover the best teas of the world and pass them (or rather, their names, but how I would love to pass a cup!) on to my readers. Yet, in the process, I came across a very practical essay published by George Orwell, not a writer I generally associate with comfort, in 1946. Here were all my musings on tea summed up for me!

So, if you have a few minutes, brew yourself a good strong pot of Earl Grey, and read Orwell's instructions on how to make it even better.

A Nice Cup of Tea by George Orwell

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...