Sunday, November 4, 2007

To Begin with a Book

I shall start with a large 'hello' to my readers, who must all be new, as this is my first posting! Thank you for taking the time to share with me anything that I find soothing, pleasing, delightful or comfortable. Essentially, anything to dull the rough edges that life sometimes has to offer! I hope to see you often and, hopefully, to hear from you!

Enough of introductions, however; let me get right to the meat of today's post.

With the weather drippy one moment and Christmas-y the next (think low clouds that oddly seem brighter at night) I've been in the mood for cozy reads. I crave nothing overly physiological, mind wrenching, or altogether modern. Rather, give me words that drop me into a scene filled with fires, dogs, gentle people...Yes, the cliche that is coming to your mind is what I'm after.

I therefore recommend to you The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. This charming tale reunites us with the characters of Morley's Parnassus on Wheels, particularly bookseller Roger Mifflin. In Morley's second outing, he plants Mifflin in a Brooklyn bookstore, allowing his main character to expound about books and book selling. There is also an easy mystery, a little romance, and lots of coziness.

I have yet to read Parnassus on Wheels; hopefully it proves as enjoyable as The Haunted Bookshop.

Here are some helpful links, should you wish to explore the Parnassus world a little further. (Morley himself seems like quite an interesting fellow; he was a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast, as well as the author of Kitty Foyle).

Free ebook (!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/172

Christopher Morley: http://www.online-literature.com/morley/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...